School Council/BB Meeting
Ridgewood Public School Council Meeting
February 26, 2015
The regular council meeting was called to order by the Principal and chair at 6:35 pm and a quorum was present. Mrs. Singh welcomed everyone to the meeting and distributed the agenda.
Present: Principal-Mrs. Balneet Singh, Vice Principal-Ms. Sue Eckel. Parents: Kiran (chair), Ricky, Neil, Jaime, Valeka, Fehmida
- Kiran initiated a discussion requesting a volunteer to act as co-chair. Fehmida volunteered to accept the position of co-chair for the Ridgewood PS Council.
School Musical – Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
- Ridgewood Teacher, Mrs. Prizzon, told council about this year’s school musical “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” to be held on June 10 and 11, 2015. She hopes for as many children as possible be involved from all grades. She requested support from parents with costumes and set design to make it a community event.
- Council discussed if a larger venue at a local high school could be arranged so that more parking and seating is available. Mrs. Singh will inquire at Lincoln M. Alexander Secondary School.
- Grozdanovski organized skating trips for students in grades 1-5 at the Malton Arena. Due to the extremely cold weather in the last few weeks, many trips had to be cancelled as the students walk to the arena. Alternate arrangements have been made to try to ensure all classes have one trip this year. Next year, a nominal fee of $2 per trip will be charged so buses may be arranged to drive the students to the arena.
- Numeracy is a big focus for this year and the Grade 3s continue to prepare for EQAO and training with the Kurweil Program for reading.
- A special assembly was held to celebrate Chinese New Year on Feb 20th and many events were held throughout February to celebrate Black History Month including a Spotlight on Black Heritage Field Trip, Afro-Caribbean Action Team presenting at Agnes Taylor Public School, Hip-Hop Workshop and Student Lighthouse Leaders will host a Caribbean Café and Fashion Show to end the month.
- Other events included Aussie X Cricket, Hockey Field Trip and Lighthouse Students welcoming visitors from Guelph/Niagara School Boards.
Leader in Me Conference – Michigan
- Ridgewood Public School has been invited to present at a Leader in Me Conference to be held in Michigan on March 11, 12 and 13th. Mrs. Singh will travel with a teacher to present about the Ridgewood Lighthouse Team. This is a huge honour and we not only will have an opportunity to present but also to learn from other Leader in Me schools from the United States and Canada.
Kiss and Ride
- Eckel noted that there are still several issues when parents drop off and pick up their children each day. The snow has been plowed to leave more room for cars to manoeuver making the Kiss and Ride safer this winter.
- Two speakers have been booked using the Parents Reaching Out (PRO) grant:
Workshop: Understanding My Kid’s Behaviour (Kate Jones, BA, M.Ed)
Date: April 23, 2015
Workshop: Disciplining Children (Dr. Stordy)
Date: May 28, 2015
Second Annual Leadership Day
- Student Lighthouse Leaders have been taking charge of some of the school events in preparation for the Second Annual Leadership Day to be held at Ridgewood at the end of April. Every student has a role on a Leadership Action Team. The free Leadership Day for Parents will be held on Monday, Apr 27, 2015 (8:45am until 1:45pm) and all parents are encouraged to attend and see the results of all the hard work put in by the students.
- Planning for the Backyard Bash is well underway by the School Council. Parents can follow the progress on the school council blog: https://ridgewoodcouncil.wordpress.com/. Communication will also be done by the co-chairs using the council email address which is: email@example.com.
- The March newsletter will feature information on the Backyard Bash with a separate mailing to follow requesting that parents volunteer or donate to make the event a success. The next planning meeting for the Backyard Bash will be held Mar 12, 2015 in the Ridgewood Library at 6:30pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45pm.
Meeting Thursday, Feb 26, 2015
Purpose: Backyard Bash
- Neil and Jamie have offered to donate the meats for the BBQ (ie. Hot Dogs, Hamburgers (1000pcs)). Re-considering the donation from Pillar and others that are located far, if there is no one to pick up the product
- Ricky was able to get a DJ with no cost to the school
- The suggestion for this year is to have tickets that represent $1 – instead of selling individual tickets for items, one ticket is a dollar
- The cost for Reptilia to come out is $350.00 – the council decided that it was not worth the cost
- Singh said the “Donation” letter to parents will be sent out within the first couple of weeks in March
- Gittens will co-ordinate the volunteers for the Bash
- Ricky has agreed to talk to the firefighters to come out to the Bash
- No flyers will be sent to the surrounding schools
- Singh will print the flyers and start the distribution after March break
- Jamie asked if we can have folder set up on the blog with all the letters for reference purposes, this year and the following
- We asked that the parents be on the lookout for “sale” items – jammers, water. We can store them at the school. We will give the receipt to Mrs. Singh for re-imbursement. Veleka will create a spreadsheet to track the product that is being purchased.
- Gittens will make 500 cup cakes and we will sell for 2/$1,individually wrapped
- Posted in: Uncategorized