Meeting Minutes Jan 22 2015
Purpose: School Council Meeting
Outcome: General conversation, some Backyard Bash
Upcoming Events: Survey for School Council to fill out on homework. To be completed by School Council members by Jan 23, 2015 – midnight. surveymonkey.com/s/WVKW75L
Report Cards – Feb 6, 2015. If you would like to discuss your child’s progress with their teacher, you will have to request it directly, as there will not be a designated date/time for this.
Black History Month – all of February. Once approved, a calendar will be distributed with the February newsletter with all of the dates for each of the events
Ridgewood will be changing the DAP in the morning to feature Indo-Caribbean songs
Chinese New Year- activities are planned
Skating Trips – scheduled for the month of Feb for Grades 1-5.
Leadership in Me Café – starting Feb 5, running every Thursday during the day
Leadership Day for Parents – Mon, April 27, 2015 and for Educators Thurs, April 30 2015
Issue (Update): Safety Issues with the Kiss and Ride. Major auto infractions (not wearing seat belts, people on the phone)
- Parking Enforcement has been at the school twice to issue tickets. There will be a walk to school day in Feb. All students are encouraged to engage.
Popcorn: Next week, we are considering to do a popcorn sale. Neal and Jamie have a location that supplies Kernels and will find out the pricing.
Alison Parsons – Leader in Me:
- On our way to being a “Lighthouse” school
- Either this year or next year we will be a “Lighthouse” school – 46% there. Evidence needs to be uploaded
- Mar 9 – everything needs to be completed
- Apr 9 – The “Leader in Me” reps will be coming in
- Ridgewood was asked to attend the “Leader in Me” conference in Michigan. Mrs. Singh and 2 leaders from the “Student Lighthouse” team will be attending. They will be presenting on the topic of “Student Lighthouse” team. They submitted the topic and it was approved
Lighthouse Leaders: we ask that they attend some of the Parent Council meetings
Donations: We requested Fehmida ask for donations and sponsorships for the year from local businesses in the area.
Pizza: due to the amount of work for the profit, we are holding off on pizza sales but are considering changing the process to make it a little bit more efficient
Parent Engagement Fund:
- We voted on the speakers that we would like to come in to speak to the parents. The speakers are the two speakers on the blog
- Understanding Your Kids Behaviour by Kate Jones MD
- Parenting Expert – Dr. C Sturdy
Mrs.Eckel to confirm the dates.
- Decided that a parent volunteer needs to supervise the student volunteers. 1:5 ratio
- Have a campaign to have the faces painted during the day to alleviate the amount of children having their faces painted in the afternoon
- Popcorn was a big hit so we will do it again, but this time, have the already popped popcorn
- Suggestions for older children (grade 4 and 5) activities. Will employ the games better
- As for a DJ, we thought we would get an IPOD and hook it up to the speakers. Ask one of the high school students to list the songs that they would like to play and have it approved by council.
- The teachers will consider money saving/budgeting initiatives for the children to save up for the Backyard Bash
- Have the student volunteers attend a meeting for the Bash beforehand so they know what to expect and be a bit more prepared
Our Blog: ridgewoodcouncil.wordpress.com
Next Meeting: Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 @ 6:30pm
Thursday Apr 2, 2015 @ 6:30pm
June 4, 2015 @ 6:30pm
- Posted in: Uncategorized